Skip to Main Content

Reporting Fraud, Waste and Abuse

NH Healthy Families is serious about finding and reporting times that New Hampshire Medicaid funds are used in the wrong way. This is called fraud, waste or abuse.

Fraud means to knowingly get benefits or payments that you are not entitled to receive. Please let us know if you are aware of someone who is committing fraud. This could be a provider or a member. Some examples of health care fraud include:

  • A lie on an application
  • Using someone else's ID card
  • A provider (doctor) billing for services that were not done
  • Transportation (usage abuse)

Waste is the overuse of services that may result in costs not needed for health care benefits. This includes direct costs and indirect costs. Waste usually results from the misuse of services.

Abuse is actions that may result in unnecessary costs not needed for health care benefits. This includes direct costs and indirect costs. Abuse involves payment for items or services when there is no legal reason for to pay for them.

If you believe that you are being taken advantage of or hurt by someone, report it. All information will be kept private. Stopping fraud, waste and abuse will help protect you. It will also provide more time and money for your healthcare needs.

There are many ways to report fraud, waste and abuse:

  • Call NH Healthy Families Member Services at 1-866-769-3085 (TDD/TTY 1-855-742-0123).
  • Tell us right away, if you think a doctor, a hospital, another NH Healthy Families member, or another person is misusing the Medicaid or NH Healthy Families resources.
  • Call NH Healthy Families’ FWA Hotline at 1-866-685-8664. You do not need to give your name and we will take your call seriously. Or you can write to:     
    • NH Healthy Families 
      Compliance Department
      2 Executive Park Drive, Suite 220
      Bedford, New Hampshire, 03110
  • You can also report fraud, waste and abuse to Medicaid. Medicaid’s address and phone number are:
    • Office of the Attorney General
      Medicaid/Healthcare Fraud Unit
      33 Capitol Street
      Concord, NH 03301

To report Fraud, Waste and Abuse, gather as much information as possible.

When reporting about a provider (a doctor, dentist, counselor, etc.) include: 

  • Name, address, and phone number of provider
  • Name and address of the facility (hospital, nursing home, home health agency, etc.)
  • Medicaid number of the provider and facility, if you have it
  • Type of provider (doctor, dentist, therapist, pharmacist, etc.)
  • Names and phone numbers of other witnesses who can help in the investigation
  • Dates of events 
  • Summary of what happened

When reporting about someone who gets benefits, include: 

  • The person’s name
  • The person’s date of birth, Social Security Number, or case number if you have it 
  • The city where the person lives 
  • Specific details about the Fraud, Waste and Abuse